Sunday, September 20, 2020

Accidental Invention

I heard once that most inventions are either accidents or experiments gone wrong. But up till a few days ago, I never really experienced this myself.

Earlier in the week, I was making one of the cable Hazel Village sweaters for a friend. I had to switch to a different skein in the middle of it, and since it was late and the lights were on, I didn't notice the subtle difference in the color. In the morning though, it became clear that those two skeins must have been from totally different dye lots. The bottom part of the sweater looked really off.

I went ahead and undid the mismatched part and searched high and low to find the same shade of yarn. It turned out I had only a little bit of this shade left, not enough for a whole sweater. So in the end,  I decided to make a cropped cardigan instead of a full length sweater. 

I didn't expect much but I really (REALLY) like the result. These cropped cardigans are perfect over HV linen dresses.

See for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment